Sunday, July 20, 2008

ER Visit Number 1

A few weeks ago, Matt and I were eating at our favorite restaurant. Matt decided to try something new; he went with clam chowder and a sandwich. As most of you know Matt has a pretty severe peanut allergy, so we are normally very careful when trying new things. Since, there were no warnings on the menu, we felt it would be a could choice. Anyways, everything was fine until the ride home, Matt started having some problems. I was pretty sure he was having an allergic reaction but he kept saying maybe it was just bad clam chowder. After we got home, I immediately called the restaurant to see if there were any peanuts in the clam chowder. I have never heard of people putting peanuts in it but hey, I am not a fan, so what do I know. After staying on hold for what felt like forever, for the manager to look in the ingredient book, he came back to say that meal was not on the allergy friendly menu. So, I hurried and gave Matt some Benadryl we waited to see if he would start feeling better. About five minutes later, we were off to the hospital because he was having trouble breathing. Luckily, it wasn't a huge reaction, so they gave him some pills and observed him for a couple hours but all was well.

1 comment:

Lillian J. Banks said...

Ug- Matt! That bites! (no pun) I am so sorry for giving you such grief over the smelling of peanut butter in the house growing up. Had I known it would be your arch enemy I wouldn't have made cookies from it. Thank Goodness Amanda seems to not mind the hospital trips (you go girl)
Stay away from the clam chowder- ew.